More than one way to skin a cat

hm1996

Staff member
Been struggling for months now, trying to transition from my
AR back to a bolt gun. My Savage Scout's straight pistol grip just didn't work for me.

44250083790_04c5240d46_z.jpg

Found a few after market stocks that I think might straighten up the pistol grip, but none were made to fit the Savage detachable mag. center feed w/bolt release in trigger guard.
frown.gif

A vertical pistol grip would let me reach the safety without changing hand position and allow keeping rifle pulled in snug to shoulder, which was not possible w/OEM stock, especially when wearing gloves.

Some months ago a PM member put me onto a changeable grip for a some manufacturer's rifle, that I thought I could make work (been so long I don't remember the make). Worked one over and it proved to be really close to what I needed, but couldn't come up with a suitable way to hold it in place on my rifle.

A gunsmith friend of mine suggested Oatey FixIt recently. Comes in stick form, knead to mix and work fast.

46066158171_b8317dd204_z.jpg

Taped the grip in place and experimented with angle (something I couldn't do w/aftermarket stocks) then filled the void w/FixIt adhesive putty. FixIt is fast drying (maximum 5 minute working life), solidifies in 15 minutes.

46016328272_e8e6004465_z.jpg

32194774558_1e13530451_z.jpg

Not a thing of beauty, but serves my purpose and I don't plan on letting the coyotes get close enough to notice.

Regards,
hm

I've always favored performance over appearance and the more I handle the rifle, the better I like it.

I had never heard of FixIt before and was so impressed with the product I thought others might find a use for it. I plan to keep a tube on the shelf as I can see lots of possibilities for it.

It is a 50/50 mix; the center core is the hardener and you simply knead in palm until uniform color and apply. Contains carcinogens, so wear gloves. Claims it can be machined or threaded, used to patch leaking water drains,fuel tanks/oil pans, etc.....IDK about that, but I did shape with a file about an hour after application.

ETA: Has the consistency of modeling clay so it could be shaped if you work fast.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Looks like it might have been for a Tikka T3X. Or maybe the At-One. Either way, it looks pretty good. Maybe add a little camo paint and it would look like it came there.
thumbup1.gif

That's it, Bill; Tikka. Took a bit of fitting, had to remove several ribs inside and remove the bottom, but that rubberized grip is really going to help w/gloves in addition to improving the angle. Original stock being straight and pretty slick was also an issue.

Regards,
hm

That’s very interesting. I remember you talking about that Tikka interchangeable grip to try, glad it worked.
Good tip on the fix it stick, being moldable it could be better than JB weld for some things. Thanks.

Have you looked into some of these chassis made for a savage? https://mdttac.com/

The idea of these terminator looking chassis on a bolt gun I thought would never float my boat but looking into them more and more they seem super sturdy, weight is less than expected and being able to use an AR stock and add a folder to it has me interested plus MDT's prices are at least on the same planet as me compared to other chassis and stock makers.

Their light weight stock is less than 2 lbs, detachable magazine, solid aluminum and only $400... This keeps looking sweeter to me, just the detachable mag bottom metal to add to a more traditional stock runs $300.

Quote:Good tip on the fix it stick, being moldable it could be better than JB weld for some things.

It is a lot more clay like than JB so would be a lot better to build up/re-shape something than JB. Had about given up on the Tikka grip until I learned about FixIt....it Fixed it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerHave you looked into some of these chassis made for a savage? https://mdttac.com/

Matter of fact, I had. Would make conversion back to bolt a cinch, but unfortunately not allowed on the ranches I hunt, I asked. I know, but unfortunately it just isn't negotiable.

Regards,
hm

Back